Our Favorite Healthy Granola Bars

I started making these some time last year after I realized I was buying way too many granola bars for my children. I found this recipe online an decided to alter it a little by adding some more healthy ingredients. We take them on road trips, eat them for breakfast, bedtime snack or any time in between. I don't feel guilty about letting our boys have them because I have incorporated some healthy stuff.
In a large bowl combine
3 cups rice cereal
3 cups quick oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 pack of chia seeds (or more if you like)
Set aside...
In a small boiler combine 1 1/2 cups of honey
1/3 cup of coconut oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
Bring it to a boil for 1 minute

Turn off the heat and add 2 tsp of vanilla and 1 cup of peanut butter (creamy or crunchy is fine)
Dump the creamy mixture onto the dry ingredients and mix very well to make sure all the dry stuff is moistened.
Spread it out onto a cookie sheet then add chocolate chips. I use the miniature semi sweet ones.
I cover with wax paper and squish it as flat as possible (with all my strength) using another cookie sheet on top of it.
Then place the flattened granola in the fridge for a couple hours to let it cool.
Then I cut it into 24 bars. (3 rows of 8)



Last but not least, I wrap each bar individually with saran wrap to keep fresh. I store them in the fridge to retain their shape or they will get gooey and mushy if left out at room temperature.