What NOT to say to a Homeschooler...

Here are some suggestions on what you should NOT say to a homeschooler when you meet them.
Maybe you are concerned and not sure how to react. I get it, its different, its weird. I know "Why would anyone want to homeschool?" But what do you say to them?
DON'T SAY:

"Aren't you worried about
socialization?" {#1 comment I get}
We are not all alone. Our children do see other humans between church, library, field trips and grocery shopping. They even play sports from time to time.
Instead what you should say is "Have you met any other homeschoolers in your area?"
Show you care by being interested in HOW instead of worrying IF we will be socialized.
We will see other kids and form relationships.

"I didn't know people still did that!"
Yeah I know it's kinda like seeing a ghost right. You have heard of other people who have known a homeschooler. You may have seen something on TV about it. Meeting one in real life {mind-blowing}. Instead say "I think you are the first homeschool family I have ever met"
Show us that you are interested in learning more about it. Ask questions about how we spend our days. We already know we are different from most, there's no need to point it out.

"What makes you qualified to teach?" 
This one really hurts because it implies you think I'm NOT qualified. My response is I graduated High School and the state doesn't even require a college degree. Most have never taught before and it is not easy. So don't take a jab in their confidence. Instead say "I'm impressed! That's a HUGE responsibility you are taking on!" It's about taking responsibility for our child's education.
We've been teaching them since they were born.

"How do you stand being around your kids
ALL THE TIME?!"
Often said with a smile and a wink. (the humorous approach). Yes I know kids are "awful" what ever will I do without my me time? I won't pretend to be offended by this. We all love our kids whether are with them 24 hrs a day or 12. We aren't waking kids up at dawn to rush them off to school. We don't spend our evenings stressing over homework. We have challenges they are just different. Instead you could say " Your kids are so blessed to have a teacher who loves them so much."
Some days we do wish a bus would take our kids away. But there are reasons we didn't go that route. Some days it can be hard but not as hard as you imagine.  

"Are you planning to do this FOREVER?!"
When you word it that way you'll get a vague response like "we'll just see how it goes"
This is homeschool code for NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS
Instead say "I hope it all works out and I'll be praying for you"
Unless you're a close family member or a Best Friend we are not going to tell you all our hopes and dreams. We are going against the grain in a harsh society where strangers openly question our children's intelligence. A little encouragement goes a long way. 

There are as many reasons to homeschool as there are homeschool families.

If you've ever said these things just apologize and offer to help and give a mom a break.